can dogs eat muscadines

Can Dogs Eat Muscadines?

Muscadines are a type of grape that is used for wine, jelly and other products. The fruit itself is not toxic to dogs but it is recommended that they do not eat them because they can cause upset stomachs or intestinal distress.

What Are Muscadines?

Muscadines are grapes that belong to the species Vitis rotundifolia. They are native to the southeastern United States, but they have been planted in other regions such as California and Chile.

The word “muscadine” is derived from the French word “muscadin”. The French word comes from the Latin words “musca” meaning fly and “dina”, meaning wine. This refers to the muscadine’s tendency to grow in thickets and vines that attract flies.

Can Your Dog Eat Muscadines?

The answer to the question is yes, your dog can eat muscadines. However, you need to make sure that you do not feed them too much as it could lead to some stomach upset. Dogs should not eat more than one grape or two each day at most.

Can Your Puppies Eat Muscadines?

Puppies can eat muscadines, but they should not eat them in large quantities because they contain a type of sugar called sorbitol which is not easily digested by dogs.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Muscadines?

If your dog eats a large quantity of muscadines, you should contact your veterinarian immediately for help. If your dog ate a small amount, it is unlikely that they will experience any symptoms. You should watch them closely for any signs that they may have been poisoned from eating muscadines.


In conclusion, you should not feed your dog or puppy Muscadines. But, if your dog accidentally eats one or two they should be perfectly fine. If your dog shows any symptoms call your vet immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *