The teriyaki sauce that is common in Japanese cuisine is actually not safe for dogs to feed on because of the ingredients. Therefore, dog owners should avoid feeding it to their pets. In this article, we will explain why dogs should not eat teriyaki sauce.
What Is Teriyaki Sauce?
A teriyaki sauce is a Japanese sauce made from soy sauce, sake (or mirin), and sugar. And it is traditionally used in Japanese cuisine.
The word teriyaki comes from the Japanese words “teri” (meaning “lacquered”) and “yaki” (meaning “grilled”).
It is typically used as a marinade or as a dipping sauce, and it often includes garlic and ginger. The food for which teriyaki is used as a cooking technique is usually grilled, broiled, or pan.
What Is Teriyaki Sauce Made Of?
The ingredients in teriyaki sauce usually include soy sauce, sake (Japanese rice wine), and sugar.
Teriyaki sauce is made in a bowl, then mixed together with soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and sesame oil. It is then placed in a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Ginger and garlic are added and left to cook for about 1 minute. The sauce is removed from heat and allowed to cool to room temperature.
Can Dogs Eat Teriyaki Sauce?
Dogs can eat teriyaki sauce, but it is not recommended. It has been found that teriyaki sauce contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) which is a flavor enhancer and can be toxic to dogs.
The sauce is high in sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease. Therefore, it is best to avoid giving your dog or other pets teriyaki sauces.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Teriyaki Sauce?
If they have eaten a large amount of teriyaki sauce, the dog should be brought to the veterinarian clinic immediately.
And if they have eaten a small amount of teriyaki sauce, just monitor the dog for any adverse reactions. If the dog starts vomiting, has diarrhea, is lethargic, or becomes unresponsive, they should be brought to the veterinarian clinic.
Teriyaki sauce is toxic to dogs because it contains ingredients that are not safe for them. It is important to know the ingredients in the food that you give your dog so that you do not accidentally poison him or her.